Applicant Details & Scoring
ARC State Program Manager Comments
Total Qualifying Score: 4
County (ARC Region): Yes
State (ARC Region): Yes
Q3. IRS Status: Nonprofit – 2
Q4. Parent Entity: No – 1
Q5. 2 or More Full-Time Employees : Yes (as of 12/31/2019)
Q7. Budget Level: Above $3 million or below $100,000 – 0 (Last Fiscal Year Actual Income)
Q8. Restricted Reserves: Yes – 0
Q9. CARES Act Funding: No – 1
Q13. Participation by Executive: Yes
CONTACT & LOCATION INFORMATION
County (ARC Region) Walker
State (ARC Region) Alabama
ORGANIZATIONAL & FINANCIAL INFORMATION
The mission of the Walker Area Community Foundation is to build a permanent endowment that will forever help support the charitable needs of our community and improve the quality of life for the people of Walker County and the surrounding area.
Q2. How organization aligns with ARC’s Plan & Goals:
- Collaborating with Jasper Main Street, the Walker County Economic and Industrial Development Authority, the Jasper Industrial Development Board, Alabama’s Communities of Excellence (ACE) and any other program that we can find. We are working now on an application to OPAL to establish a cohort to pursue Opportunity Zone investment in our community.
- The Walker County Health Action Partnership and the Behavioral Health Priority Group
- We are investing in the Demand Response Transportation System for Walker County
- We recently completed the U.S. EPA’s Recreational Economies for Rural Communities (RERC) technical assistance program and have a plan that is in the implementation stages.
- We are a partner with Your Town Alabama Designing Its Future, the Walker County Leadership Program, the Walker County Youth Leadership Program and we are starting a Nexus group for the 18-30 y/o’s to teach leadership skills to the next generation.
Q3. IRS Filing Status: 501(c)(3)
Q4. Unit or Chapter of Larger Organization: No
Full-Time/Part-Time Employees: 6/1 (as of 9/1/2020)
Full-Time/Part-Time Employees: 5/1 (as of 12/31/2019)
Current Year Income/Expenses: $4,458,660/$3,542,805
Q6. Fiscal Year: Calendar
Q7. Budget Level
Last Fiscal Year Income/Expenses (Actual): $9,978,238 / $4,000,484
Current Year Income/Expenses (Projected): $4,458,660 / $3,542,805
Q8. Restricted Reserves (Amount): Yes ($300,000)
Q9. CARES Act Funding (Amount): No ($)
Received From: Date Received:
For What Purpose(s):
Q10. Negative Impacts from COVID-19:
Jasper Retail has been hit hard. The manufacturing sector was hurt but is rebounding. Sales tax and lodging tax has been reduced and civic budgets have been curtailed. The infusion of CARES Act and other Disaster related investments have stabilized the local economy to some extent.
Q11. Top Three Concerns:
Loss of revenue
Disaster relief requests in excess of our capacity to respond
Loss of morale among staff due to COVID
How Participation in Program Will Address Concerns:
Helping us develop additional revenue streams.
Help us find and point our grantees to more resources.
Develop coping skills to mitigate the psychological strain.
Q12. Applying as a Proposed Cohort? No
Q13. Executive Director or CEO Will Participate in the Program? Yes
Q14. Top Two Choices for Cohort Instruction:
Course #1 Choice: 1-Fundraising
Course #2 Choice: 2-Mission & Operations
Q15. Desired Course Schedule for Cohort Instruction:
#1 Desired Course Schedule: 1-Fall 2020: 6-Week Course (Nov. 9, 2020 – Dec. 18, 2020)
#2 Desired Course Schedule: 2-Winter 2021 A: 5-Week Course (Jan. 25, 2021 – Feb. 28, 2021)
APPLICATION SUBMITED BY:
Name: Pam Fikes, VP of Grants and Nonprofit Support
Application Approved by Organization Director or CEO? Yes, Approved by Executive Director/CEO